Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The theory of persecution and the attack with a sponge

I have no interest at all in attacking anyone's fundamental beliefs. Even so, I find that many people see my views on religion and the relationships of humans within society's boundaries to be, as it were, "throwing mud". I do not intend at any time to obscure anything. The truth will always win.

The persecution complex in others is both frightening and hilarious to me. People who imagine themselves cornered will often do irrational things, including physical violence. Beset on all sides by enemies both imagined and real, they will lash out. I suffer from no such delusions. I seek more information, not less.

This more than anything is my main reason for reading the Bible front to back, instead of the more accepted method of skipping around trying to make a whole out of many parts. What disturbed me so greatly in my previous incarnation as a Catholic was the refusal on the part of the church to use more than maybe five percent of the Bible. I began to wonder what else was between those two rose-colored covers.

Seeking without guidance can be counterproductive (just ask any man who has wandered the streets in a strange town for hours before stopping to ask for directions), but it is, in my judgment, only when we are willing to stand alone that we see the whole truth. There are too many people looking to "shepherd" you past multiple doors saying in a gentle soothing voice "Oh no, you don't want to go in there."

I demand the right to know for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment